XG194 - Interactive Dynamics Ltd. (flyer), RAF St. Athan, Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, Wales
Hunter PR.11 XG194 at Kemble, 18th June 2011; author
Built as part of the first production batch of the F.4, WT723 first flew on 16th February 1955 and was delivered to 5 MU the next month. Serving with 54(F) and 14(F) Squadrons plus 229 OCU, she was returned to Hawkers and converted to a GA.11, being delivered to the FAA on 17th August 1962. She served with 764 NAS and was converted to a PR.11 with the fitment of nose cameras during that time. In 1973 she joined FRADU at Yeovilton and spent the next 20 years with them before being retired in 1993. After 3 years as a ground handling airframe at Culdrose she was sold to a US buyer, and overhauled by Exeter-based Classic Jets. The plan to fly her in the US never came to anything so she became G-PRII and was then purchased by Belgium-based Classic Fighters who briefly operated it on the airshow circuit in Europe. WT723 is now the only remaining flyable example of the PR.11, but sadly with the demise of Classic Fighters around 2002, she was grounded for several years. Eventually rescued by a new owner and returned to the air in 2008 by Hunter Flying Ltd. at Exeter, she has also gained a new paint scheme - Black Arrows colours - not awfully appropriate to her history, but marking the 50th anniversary of the famous 22-Hunter loop. She appeared at the 2008 Farnborough show to mark the anniversary and wore the short lived serial of 'XG164' before having it changed to 'XG194'. Since then she's moved on again, becoming part of the all too short-lived Team Viper display team. She's now based at Hunter Flying's new St. Athan base.
Information on this page current as of 25/01/2012
Find other photos of XG194 on the following sites:
Air-Britain - Airliners.net - Airplane-Pictures.net - flickr.com - WorldAirPics.com - JetPhotos.net - PlanePictures.net