WV256 - Cornwall Aviation Heritage Centre, Newquay Cornwall Airport, Cornwall
Hunter GA.11 WV256 at Newquay, 15th May 2016; Alan Lord
WV256 first flew on 5th May 1955 and was delivered to the RAF on 20th May 1955. Serving with 26(F) Squadron and 229 OCU, she was bought back by Hawkers in 1960, converted to a GA.11 and delivered to RNAS Lossiemouth and 738 NAS on 2nd April 1963. 738 moved to Brawdy and so did WV256, but she moved back to Lossiemouth when transferred to 764 NAS in 1969. In 1972 she joined ADTU, and in 1973 became part of FRADU's fleet, retiring in 1995 and being flown to RAF Shawbury for storage. Auctioned off in 2000, she was sold to Barry Pearson and flown to Exeter on a ferry permit (now registered G-BZPB) for a full restoration to flight, which took no time at all - by May 2001 she was airborne again, and wearing 'sky' colours representing the original prototype Hunter. She was flown on the airshow circuit in 2001 and 2002 but her Permit to Fly expired in 2003 and she has not flown since. In common with many of the other briefly-active Hunters based at Exeter, she then moved - by road - to Kemble and was part of the spares/display line-up there for some years before moving in late May 2010 to Coventry and the new Airbase (Air Atlantique) facility. She was put on display at the Coventry Airport main entrance, as an advertising hoarding for Airbase, but in summer 2012 was roaded to Airbase's new location at Newquay. She then began a repaint into her original 26 Sqn colours. With Airbase folding, happily work continued and she is now on display in her new colours under the care of the Cornwall Aviation Heritage Centre.
Information on this page current as of 24/05/2016
Find other photos of WV256 on the following sites:
Air-Britain - Airliners.net - Airplane-Pictures.net - flickr.com - WorldAirPics.com - JetPhotos.net - PlanePictures.net