XG297 - Bill Fern, Aeroventure, Lakeside and Leisure Complex, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
Hunter FGA.9 XG297 at Doncaster, 2nd March 2016; author
First flown on 3rd December 1956, XG297 was delivered to the RAF at the beginning of 1957, returning to Hawker Siddeley in January 1961 to be converted to an FGA.9. She was returned to service in November 1961 with 20 Squadron, coded 'B'. She served with 28 Squadron at RAF Kai Tak from August 1962 until the end of 1966 and then rejoined 20 Squadron in January 1967, coded 'Y'. She was flown back to the UK and retired to storage at No.5 MU at Kemble in February 1970. She was sold back to Hawker Siddeley in 1976, becoming G-9-452, with H-S hoping to resell her to another customer. This fell through and she was eventually scrapped with the nose section saved. That has been a wandering nomad ever since - being stored at Bitteswell, Lovaux, Macclesfield, the Pennine Aviation Museum, Newton-le-Willows, Firbeck and finally to AeroVenture, Doncaster. She is on display in her final 20 Squadron colours.
Information on this page current as of 12/12/2016
Find other photos of XG297 on the following sites:
Air-Britain - Airliners.net - Airplane-Pictures.net - flickr.com - WorldAirPics.com - JetPhotos.net - PlanePictures.net