WT804 - Fire Service College (crew extraction training), Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire
Hunter GA.11 WT804 at Moreton-in-Marsh, 2nd January 2012; Tom Higgs/True British Metal
Built as an F.4 and first flown in March 1955, WT804 served with 247 Squadron before being placed in storage as improved marks became available. In 1961/62 she was taken out of storage and converted to GA.11 standard and assigned to the Fleet Air Arm. Serving with 738 NAS at RNAS Lossiemouth from late 1962, but by May 1963 was back in storage - at RNAY Sydenham. Moving to Kemble and 5MU in April 1965, she was back in the air the next year with 738 NAS once again, now based at RNAS Brawdy. With occasional spells at maintenance units for various upgrades including fitting a Harley light in the nose, WT804 went on to joint the Fleet Requirements Unit at Hurn in July 1969 and stayed on when the unit moved to Yeovilton and became FRADU. She was retired to storage at Kemble once more in 1982, and became a ground instructional airframe. She was used as such at Shawbury and Culdrose (in taxiable condition there for use with the School of Aircraft Handling), finally being retired from active use in January 1994. By May of that year she had moved to her current (and likely final) home, the Home Office Fire & Emergency Training Centre at Moreton-in-Marsh (now the Fire Service College). Her nose wheel is retracted and she's apparently pole-mounted to keep her securely in place while trainees practice extracting people from the cockpit. Alas visitors are not welcome, with the College citing health & safety risks. Regardless, Tom risked life, limb and possible grass stains to get this photo and is reportedly completely unharmed...
Information on this page current as of 01/02/2012
Find other photos of WT804 on the following sites:
Air-Britain - Airliners.net - Airplane-Pictures.net - flickr.com - WorldAirPics.com - JetPhotos.net - PlanePictures.net