XF994 - Hawker Hunter Aviation, RAF Scampton, Lincolnshire
Hunter T.8C XF994 at Boscombe Down, 18th April 2007; Boscombe Down Aviation Collection
Hunter XF994 was built as an F.4 and began her life with the RAF in July 1956, serving with 66(F) Squadron and the AFDS before ending her active career with 229 OCU at RAF Chivenor. Retired to storage, she was bought back by Hawkers in 1962 and converted to a T.8C for the RN, re-entering active service with 759 NAS at RNAS Brawdy in 1963. By 1969 she had moved to RNAS Yeovilton and was used by the Naval Flying Standards Flight/Station Flight, spent some time in storage at Kemble and by late 1980 had returned to Yeovilton and become part of FRADU. Retired in 1995, XF994 carried out the last contracted task by a Navy Hunter on 17th February 1995, and also took part in the 'goodbye Hunters' flypast in May the same year. Retired to storage at Shawbury, during 1998 the aircraft was taken by road to Boscombe Down for restoration to flying condition.
However the plan did not go ahead and after a period of ground instructional use with the Apprentices School, XF994 was moved to the on-site Museum in 2001 and remained there until 2010 when she was sold, moving to Exeter initially and then onwards to Scampton. Now registered as G-CGHU, this may indicate a possibility of her flying again in the future.
Information on this page current as of 19/05/2013
Find other photos of XF994 on the following sites:
Air-Britain - Airliners.net - Airplane-Pictures.net - flickr.com - WorldAirPics.com - JetPhotos.net - PlanePictures.net