WT722 - Airbase, Newquay Cornwall Airport, Cornwall
Hunter T.8C WT722 at Coventry, 11th December 2010; author
WT722 was built as an F4, first flown on 4th February 1955 and delivered to the RAF on 25th May 1955. Serving with 54(F) and 26(F) Squadrons, she was sold back to Hawkers in 1957 and rebuilt as a T.8, being delivered to the RN on 10th April 1959, making her one of the first T.8 conversions delivered. Serving with 703 and 764 NAS at RNAS Lossiemouth, and 759 NAS at Brawdy, in 1970 she moved to RNAS Yeovilton and service with the Air Direction Training Unit (ADTU). When FRU merged with ADTU to form FRADU in 1972 she became part of the FRADU fleet - and by 1983 was the oldest Hunter in airworthy condition. Retired in 1994 (with 9,500 flying hours and 12,500 landings in her logbooks!) to storage at RAF Shawbury, she was sold at auction in 1995 to Classic Jets at Exeter, being flown down there in 1996 having being registered as G-BWGN. In common with many of the Exeter airframes her civilian life was a short one - her CofA expired in 1997 - and in 2006 she ended up in storage with Delta Jets at Kemble. In late May 2010 she moved - by road - to Coventry as part of the new Airbase (Air Atlantique) collection. She had another road move in summer 2012 when Airbase relocated to Newquay.
Information on this page current as of 29/08/2012
Find other photos of WT722 on the following sites:
Air-Britain - Airliners.net - Airplane-Pictures.net - flickr.com - WorldAirPics.com - JetPhotos.net - PlanePictures.net