Vickers Valiant - Links, References & Credits
- Valiants R Us is Nobby Unwin's site on the Valiant - the only website dedicated to the type. Lots of photos and information on the various Valiant squadrons, re-unions, etc. Sadly Nobby passed away and so, it seems, has his site.
References - Books
Vickers Valiant - The First of the V-Bombers by Eric B. Morgan
Published by Aerofax, 2002
Covers the development and service history of the type with lots of photos both monochrome and colour, and many technical drawings and other illustrations. Undoubtedly the best single publication on the type (and the best of the various Aerofax volumes) - it is just a shame Eric is no longer around to write a larger and more comprehensive volume.
Jet Bomber Pilot by Wg Cdr J A 'Robby' Robinson RAF (Retd)
Published by Old Forge Publishing, 2006
A highly readable and entertaining account of one man's RAF career from training on Meteors in the early 1950s through Canberras and then on to the Valiant. While you may not learn a great deal about the aircraft itself the culture and activities of a Valiant squadron all come across very well and it's never boring. A valuable insight into what it was like to fly the forgotten bomber.
Operation Grapple - Testing Britain's First H-Bomb by Group Captain Kenneth Hubbard and Michael Simmons
Published by Ian Allan, 1985
A superb book on the H-bomb programme; contains not only previously unpublished photos of the build-up, dropping and aftermath of the series of bomb drops, but also contains highly detailed drawings of the airframe fit and special modifications applied to the 'Grapple' aircraft (also in the Aerofax book).
V-Force - The History of Britain's Airborne Deterrent by Andrew Brookes
A good book on the entire V-force with good Valiant coverage, particularly about the early nuclear test drops.
Modern Combat Aircraft 11 - V-Bombers by Robert Jackson
ISBN 1 901945 03 0
Published by Ian Allan Ltd./Book Law Publications
A book on the entire V-Force, with good Valiant coverage. Recently reprinted and should still be available at a knock-down price.
References - Magazines
- Air Pictorial, March 1985: Valiant to the Last by J.D.R. Rawlings; short article looking back on the Valiant's service career with an interesting selection of monochrome pictures.
- FlyPast, September 1985: Disposal; an article on the fate of the various Valiant airframes, starting with a good development and service history. Several monochrome pictures.
- Scale Aircraft Modelling volume 13 number 5: Aircraft In Detail - Vickers Valiant. Article by Alan Hall with service history, lots of monochrome pictures and lots of profiles. Well worth getting hold of.
- Scale Aircraft Modelling volume 13 number 9: Vacuform Modelling - Vickers Valiant. Article by E. Staszak on building the rare and poor quality Contrail 1/72 vacform kit.
- Scale Aircraft Modelling volume 19 number 2: Aircraft in Detail - Photo Reconnaissance. Includes a small piece of text on the B(PR).1 plus one monochrome picture of a 543 Squadron Valiant and a colour profile.
- Any more magazine references would be appreciated.
This section would have been greatly the poorer without contributions from the following - so many thanks to (in
Bill Bielauskas, Ian Chapman, Ray Deacon, Victor Flintham, Gerry Hitch, Rick Kent, Garry Lakin, Bryan Ribbans and Neil Trump.