WT648 - Boscombe Down Aviation Collection, Old Sarum Airfield, Wiltshire
Hunter F.1 WT648 at Old Sarum, 19th August 2018; author
First flown on 4th October 1954, WT648 entered service the next month with 222 Squadron, moving on to join the Day Fighter Leader School at RAF West Raynham, where she was coded 'F' and given a bright yellow spine for greater visibility in practice combat. She took part in a world tour with other Hunters from the Central Flying Establishment before being retired to become ground instructional airframe 7530M with No.4 SoTT at RAF Weedon by November 1957. Later moving to the RAF Paint Finisher's School at RAF St. Athan, by 1990 she was up for disposal and initially sent for scrapping to Hanningfield Metals in Essex. The cockpit was cut off and used for spares for another Hunter project before the shell was acquired by Tony Dyer's Air Defence Collection in 1991. Remarkably he completed a full restoration and repopulated the interior in a year or so.
Information on this page current as of 14/06/2020
Find other photos of WT648 on the following sites:
Air-Britain - Airliners.net - Airplane-Pictures.net - flickr.com - WorldAirPics.com - JetPhotos.net - PlanePictures.net