Thunder & Lightnings

English Electric Canberra - Survivor WT536

PR.7 WT536 - South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum, AeroVenture, Doncaster, Yorkshire

Click for previous survivorSurvivor imageClick for next survivor

Canberra PR.7 WT536 at South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum, 22nd September 2023; Jake Wallace

Built in 1955, this PR.7 was ready for collection in the October of that year. Eight months later she was brought onto the charge of 17 Sqd who were based at RAFG Wahn from June 1956. WT536 went on to have a varied career transferring next to 13 Sqd at RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus, then 31 Sqd at RAFG Laarbruch. Her next and final squadron was 80 Sqd meaning that WT536 moved yet again, this time to RAFG Bruggen.

WT536 left active flying service and was allocated the Ground Instructional number 8063M in November 1969. She was last flown on 1 December 1969 finishing with only 2425 hours on the airframe. WT536's last flight would have been to RAF Cosford, No 2 School of Technical Training, where she joined other aircraft as an instructional airframe for the radio and avionics tradesmen.

In May 1991, she was put up for sale but there were no takers for a complete Canberra at that time and so she was cut up for scrap in August of that year. The nose and tailplane went to British Aviation Heritage at Bruntingthorpe who sold them on to Frank Lund. The owner moved the cockpit to Hampshire, before moving it on to Walcott in Lincolnshire in 2017, but she has more recently moved on to the South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum where she is now undergoing restoration work.

Information on this page current as of 30/10/2023, last updated by Jake

Find other photos of WT536 on the following sites:

Air-Britain - - - - - -