Thunder & Lightnings

English Electric Canberra - Survivor WK127

TT.18 WK127 - Wings Aviation Museum, Balcombe, Sussex

Click for previous survivorSurvivor imageClick for next survivor

Canberra TT.18 WK127 at St Mawgan, 18th May 1971; Chris England

WK127 was built as a B.2 and ready for collection on 18 June 1954. She was initially taken onto the RAF's charge and issued to 10 Sqd (at RAF Scampton at the time). Later she was converted to a TT.18 and was then issued to 7 Sqd - RAF St Mawgan - where she flew un-camouflaged. Later she was re-painted in the standard camouflage colours and transferred to 100 Sqd, who were probably at RAF Wyton by then.

On 13 Dec 1988 she was involved in an accident causing her to be effectively written off for flying so she was used for spares. She was next transferred to the Battle Damage Repair Flight (BDRF) at RAF Wyton, allotted a Ground Instructional Airframe serial number, 8985M and coded "FO" before being scrapped in 1992 as part of the SALT treaty, with the nose being saved by the scrap merchants - Hanningfield Metals - and acquired by 2484 Sqn ATC at Bassingbourn.

In 2004 she moved to 115 (Peterborough) Sqn ATC, who sold her on in 2013/2014 to the Wings Aviation Museum.

Information on this page current as of 01/06/2021, last updated by Jake

Find other photos of WK127 on the following sites:

Air-Britain - - - - - -