XE364 - Gatwick Aviation Museum, Charlwood, Surrey
Sea Hawk FB.5 XE364 at Charlwood, April 1st 2000; author
XE489 was built by Armstrong Whitworth at Coventry and delivered to the Royal Navy in 1956. She served with various squadrons and ended up with the Fleet Requirements Unit at Hurn by 1961, wearing an overall black colour scheme and a drop-tank-mounted light. On retirement she was disposed of to the Historic Aircraft Museum at Southend, flying into the airport in May 1967 - her final flight. In due course the Museum painted her as XE364, representing an 899 NAS/HMS Eagle aircraft. Michael Carlton's Jet Heritage then acquired her in 1983 and registered her as G-JETH, intending to restore her to flight. With Michael's death the aircraft was sold in 1987 to the then-new Gatwick Aviation Museum and has been guarding the gate for many years, still wearing the red colours she wore while with Jet Heritage. In the late 2000s she was looking pretty tired so a repaint was started, and by 2010 she was once again wearing XE364's scheme (despite finding WM983 on the fuselage while stripping the old layers of paint off - it appears XE498 and WM983 swapped rear fuselages at some point).
Information on this page current as of 11/01/2012
Find other photos of XE364 on the following sites:
Air-Britain - Airliners.net - Airplane-Pictures.net - flickr.com - WorldAirPics.com - JetPhotos.net - PlanePictures.net