XE664 - Jet Age Museum, Gloucestershire
Hunter F.4 XE664 at Staverton, April 20th 2000; Bob Lawson
XE664 was built as an F.4 and served with 26 Squadron from 1955 before returning to Hawkers in 1958 to be converted to a T.8. The single-seater nose section was removed and it is this which is pictured above. The complete XE664 went on to be converted to a T.75 and sold to Singapore. XE664's original nose, however, spent many years with an ATC Squadron at a school in Marlborough as a training aid, until they disbanded and the nose gathered dust until the shed it was in was needed for other purposes. Saved from being scrapped by one of the teachers at the school, it then spent some more time stored at the school before moving to a nearby farm and then in February 1999 moved to the Jet Age Museum, where it is now being restored for future use as a sit-in exhibit. Unfortunately the museum has been forced to shut its doors by the airport authorities who want to demolish the hangar that the museum use, so for the time being this aircraft is not accessible.
Find other photos of XE664 on the following sites:
Air-Britain - Airliners.net - Airplane-Pictures.net - flickr.com - WorldAirPics.com - JetPhotos.net - PlanePictures.net